Monday, April 2, 2012

The Mephisto Covenant by Trinity Faegen


The Mephisto Covenant: The Redemption of Ajax by Trinity Faegen
Publisher: Egmont USA
Hardcover: 434 Pages
Source: Library
Date Started: 3/30/12
Date Finished: 3/31/12
The Cover: The concept of this cover is really beautiful, but I feel like it could have been done better. The girl doesn’t fit into the background – it’s like they just cut and pasted her from a stock photo and didn’t try to edit her in. The glittery stars, trees, and bridge were well done. It looks very mysterious and dark, so it matches the theme of the book very well. However, the bright blue in the sky is really unsettling. It’s too bright and doesn’t blend into the darkness very well. It should have been more of a gradient, or at least not have such rough edges when they were trying to blend it. Overall, concept’s good, editing’s bad.
The Good: I love that the relationship between Sasha and Jax wasn’t rushed. In a lot of books that I read, the two main characters fall in love within, like, a day. Because Jax is a son of Hell and Sasha is an Anabo, meaning she’s completely pure and innocent, they find it hard to fall in love with each other even though both their fates depend on it. Although I think the book only spans through about two weeks to less than a month, their inability to be completely sure that they loved each other without having the influence of the fact that they weren’t able to have a normal relationship made them seem very realistic to me. And for some reason, I love jealous male characters. They just prove that they do like their love interests a lot (though it might not be very healthy…). The ending was satisfying. However, I do feel like many things were left open-ended and unfinished. Maybe the sequel will address everything.
I really liked the suspense from Eryx and the Ravens. Not really sure why they’re called the Ravens, since the origin of the name was never mentioned in the book. I liked the environment Faegen created for us, with almost everyone being or becoming Ravens, and the desperation and determination that emerged from Sasha and Jax when they were basically getting closed in by their enemies. She really knows how to create terror and anticipation.
The Bad: I just wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone under fifteen. Many scenes were talking about sex, and they were pretty graphic. I didn't mind them at all -blush- but read at your own risk, you innocent-minded teens! Also, it usually bothers me when the male protagonist has had intercourse with other girls, just because I’m a purist J However, the way the author explains why Jax had to was a valid excuse, in my opinion. If you’re even more extreme, you might have a hard time trying to read this book without burning with anger for the female protagonist.
Overall: Very satisfied! I wish I owned a copy of it. I will definitely be looking out for the sequel. Although it has to do with the next Mephisto brother, I hope Faegen includes some snippets of Sasha and Jax.
Rating: 4/5

Next will be Ally Condie's Matched. Sorry for the wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment